Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Birthday Princess


On the morning of Abigail's birthday (her estimated birthday from China), Frances remembered a special occasion hat that we bought last summer. We dubbed it "the Birthday Princess Hat," and Abigail was thrilled with it. She wore it ALL DAY LONG, everywhere she went. It's sort of... well... conspicuous, which means that most people are compelled to comment on it. This was fine with Abigail, because she got to tell sooo many people, "It's my birthday!" It even earned her a pink balloon at the grocery store. She worked for days to develop the manual dexterity to put up three fingers, to show her newly advanced age. I had no idea that it would be hard to do, but it took Abby a while (and several interesting configurations) before she could put up those three fingers. She loved it when Frances and I sang "Happy Birthday" to her, and kept asking us, "Sing it again, please!" While she was wearing the hat/crown in the car on the way to school/work/RoBen's, Abigail kept saying, "Snap my cap! Hoo hoo hoo!" The first thing that I thought of was the line from High School Musical, when Troy says, "Miss Darbis has snapped her cap!" But Abby told me that Tigger says this phrase. I am not up on the current Disney channel shows, so I was clueless. She would tip the hat forward onto her lap while saying "snap my cap" and then do the "hoo hoo" part with a big grin. Later, she used the crown to cover her cough!

Back to the birthdate issue: Many people think that Abigail is older than her estimated birthdate makes her, and they may be right. When she was found, she had a heart defect, so may have been small for her age. But back at Christmastime, our pastor reminded us that no one knows the real date of Jesus' birth. He may have been born in the spring, summer, or fall, but we choose to celebrate His birthday on December 25th. So even though we will never know the actual date of her birth, we will choose to celebrate Abigail's birthday on May 19th.

3 comments:

MommaT said...

Happy Birthday Princess!!!! XXXX00000's

Lisa-n-Phil said...

Hi Girls!!
I love going into your site and watching Frances & Abbigail grow, even though it's from long distance! Happy Birthday Abbigail! and Belated Happy Birthday Frances!!!! We miss you all bunches.
By the way we are moving to Austin, Texas in about 2-weeks so we will be in Austin by 6/15/10. I'll try to get in touch with you ladies before we go.
WE LOVE AND MISS YOU ALL BUNCHES AND OODDLES!!!!
Lisa n Phil

Linda said...

HAPPY B-DAY ABBY! Hope you like your new bedding set cuz we picked it out with you in mind.
Karen, I read and pray over the blog very often..almost cyber stalking. No time to comment usually...and usually nothing to say, but ...I REALLY LOVE YOU ALL
Love,
Aunt Linda
P.S I have had to cut and save this message because I didn't remember log in info...20 mins to hopefully be successful this time.
THIS is WHY i don't do comments. AUGH.