This year, Frances decided that she wanted to be a waffle for Halloween. I asked one of the really artistic, crafty ladies at work about what I might use for the costume. She suggested upholstery foam, so we visited a re-upholstery shop near home and bought a few yards of the foam. The hardest part was figuring out how to draw the squares so that they would be uniform in size as well as symmetrical. I am not a math-girl, but I am compulsive, so it had to be done right. I finally figured it out to my satisfaction, and with an exacto knife and some spray adhesive.... voila! A waffle.
Abigail was much more easy-going about what she wanted to be. She was fine just looking through her dress-ups and finding the princess dress that was the least "scratchy." Add to the dress a pair of sparkly silver sneakers and a soft tiara (both of which she already had) and she was a pretty pink princess.
We went to a "Fall Festival" with friends on the Saturday before Halloween. It was about 80 degrees, which just seems weird for Halloween weather. But we put on some sunscreen, and the girls played games, jumped in a bounce house, and Abigail rode a pony.
This year, Abigail drew a picture of what she wanted her jack-o-lantern to look like, and I tried my best to carve her little pumpkin to match the drawing. This year, Frances asked if she could help carve the big pumpkin, and because we use a relatively safe, serrated "pumpkin cutter" rather than a standard kitchen knife, I agreed. She did a great job, with minimal advice from me, and she is always a big help in separating all of the seeds from the pulp. Frances loves to eat pumpkin seeds, and is willing to do the work to get them! I cook them in a little olive oil and garlic. Yum!
On Halloween night, we went to Old Town Orange, as has become our tradition. We have friends who live there, and we all have a pot luck, as well as helping stock the treats (there are literally thousands of trick-or-treaters in that neighborhood). Both girls went out trick-or-treating, although they did not go together. Abigail went out first with Lori, and I took Frances a while later. When Fran & I returned, both girls handed out candy, and then I took Abigail out and Fran went with Haley. We all had fun, but got to bed late!

1 comment:
I so miss you all when I see pictures of you! The girls are getting so big and of course as beautiful as ever! ps..thank you for posting on my blog, I realize its a boring blog and that is why no one ever reads it, so hey, you made me smile:)
Post a Comment