Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summer has officially started!

Although technically, I have one more day of work, we were in the pool at the Hunters' for the first time this season, so it is officially summer! This weekend in Dave & Zenia's backyard, there were two big parties. Saturday was Scott's graduations party, and Sunday was Michele's bridal shower.

The pool had been heated, and was blissfully warm. Of course, Dave hated it, because he thinks the water should be "refreshing" and "nippy." He grew up in Scotland, and the water there was probably extremely "refreshing"! But the pool felt perfect to me. The girls enjoyed it, too.

Last summer, Abigail had a "floaty suit" that looked like a wetsuit. It zipped up the back so she could not take it off, and it kept her afloat. She was leaping off of the diving board into the deep end all by herself. Well, that bathing suit is too small (and was worn out) so this summer, I think she will have to learn to swim. It took her a while before she realized that Mommy was right; she does not know how to swim! But she had a great time playing on the steps, riding on Mommy's back, and jumping off the side into an adult's waiting arms. Hopefully, she will learn to swim quickly.

All of Frances' bathing suits from last summer were worn out. She is an athletic child, and is hard on bathing suits! We went to Target and WalMart to look at new bathing suits, but she is apparently in between a medium and a large, so nothing was fitting well. Someone had said that there were speedo bathing suits at Kohl's so we went to shop there. Frances has a 2-piece bathing suit, but she knows it is not functional to wear that in a pool. With all of the diving and jumping she does, either the top or the bottom comes off! She tried on some very conservative one-piece bathing suits, and when I went to grab some in other sizes, I saw one that was black, with peace signs and flowers and pink trim. Fran is into peace signs, so I gave it to her to try on. Because it was a little "girly," I just mentioned that it had peace signs on it. She loved it! And it is a feminine bathing suit! For years she has worn board shorts and a rash guard as her standard swim attire, so this is a big change, but I am playing it off like it's no big deal...

No comments: