Last Saturday, we decided to take a break from working on Frances' science project, to get out and enjoy the gorgeous day. Frances suggested that we take a bike ride. We rode our bikes to a neighborhood in which the streets are in a state of perpetual disrepair, where men sit drinking beer in lawn chairs in front of apartments, where the music makes you think about margaritas and the cooking smells are mouth-watering. Tucked away on Sycamore Street is the old Anaheim Cemetary.
We had ridden past it once before on our way to a park. When I saw the many tall headstones, I realized that this was a place full of history. More recent headstones are plaques on the ground, but those tall ones.... I wondered what we might learn there. Frances is developing an interest in history, and she is actually the one who suggested this particular destination for our bike ride.
The girls and I wandered among the headstones, and Frances and I called out interesting dates and other information. Some of the inscriptions were in German, a reminder that Anaheim was originally settled by people from Germany and Austria. Dates on the headstones covered four centuries! We found one headstone of a soldier who fought in the War of 1812. Wow! Frances and I were fascinated by the names & dates, and Abigail thought that it was a great place to run around, almost as good as a playground!
Our time was limited that afternoon, but we may go back again for another visit to a peaceful, park-like place that is full of history.

No comments:
Post a Comment