Monday, February 1, 2010

Same class, different day

So remember a while back (October?), I posted about how some days I love my job? Today was not one of those days! It was Monday, all over the place.
In our afternoon class (usually just a delightful group of kids), while the children sat at the lunch table, eating, all of a sudden Raul started vomiting. Eskayla (my terrific instructional assistant) grabbed a trash can, gloved up, and started doing the hazmat routine. I sat in her usual spot, to supervise the other children as they finished lunch, and all of a sudden, Alejandro started vomiting! I grabbed his head to keep it over his plate (we have no linoleum in our room, only carpeting, and the sinks are down the hall). Alej didn't like that, so after he wiped his nose & mouth with his hand, he reached up to push my hand away. Ick. Eskayla tossed me some gloves, but I needed to get the slime off first. Our brand-new student (transfering in from another district, with a diagnosis of autistic-like behaviors) yelled, "Disgusting!" and started to gag. We sent all of the children to the circle time area to look at books while we cleaned up the two sick boys, their clothing, the table and the carpet. A kind-hearted assistant from the DHH program called the custodian for us, and he came in with the barf dust for the carpet, and promised to shampoo it when the kids had gone home. Eskayla called the Spanish-speaking mom, I called the English-speaking mom, and the boys were picked up within the hour. I sprayed Lysol all over all the tables, chairs, and toys once my students were gone for the day! Tomorrow should be a better day. I have an IEP after school, at which I get to tell a parent that her child definitely does not have mental retardation; he just has severely delayed expressive language. Whew.

1 comment:

MommaT said...

Now that is a day I am sure you do not want to repeat:) Glad it's over for you and praying it didn't spread to anyone else:)